Alexei Ramirez is easily the friendliest guy in a Chicago White Sox uniform and probably the nicest starting shortstop in the MLB. Not only should we love him for his character, but he’s also doing big things at the plate for the South Side in his first few weeks of the 2014 season.
I’ve always had a soft spot for my fellow Cuban brother and this season you should too. Here’s why:
- He’s HOT HOT HOT. Alexei has three home runs under his belt after the White Sox have played 13 games.
- Alexei’s hot bat has helped the White Sox lead all of baseball with 80 runs in 13 games when the Sox scored a terrible 598 all of last season. It’s a TT – total turnaround – we hope Ramirez and the crew can keep it going.
- He’s worked on his whiffs. Ramirez has always been an aggressive swinger, but he’s really cut down on his strikeouts in the first two weeks of the season averaging 5.6 percent.
- Bases, Bases and more Bases: He’s lanky and quick like a bunny. He’ll steel a base from right under your nose and takes CWS base running to the next level.
- Alexei’s line drive walk-off home run on Sunday against the Cleveland Indians has really picked up the morale in the dugout – it’s something to get excited about.
Who knows what the White Sox will do this season, there’s a REALLY long road ahead, but Alexei Ramirez is something to get excited about this spring. Go Go Go White Sox!